Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cup Cakes... Again


I do believe cupcakes are my favorite treats to make. I was inspired last week when my sister in law and I went to Sprinkles, I had the most delicious coconut cupcake! So when my hubby asked me to make some cupcakes to take to the hospital I knew I was going to do a coconut cupcake! I also did a Mega-Brownie for the third time and I think I have figured out a recipe I feel comfortable posting, and since someone requested chocolate chocolate I did just that, a chocolate-chocolate-chocolate...
I am not to the point where I make the cake from scratch, I don't have the time and I don't think it makes that big of difference...

20 COCONUT CUPCAKES
Grocery List: 1 box white cake mix (+ ingredients to make the mix), Coconut Extract, 2 Sticks Butter, 1/2 cup Crisco, 1 pound bag Powdered Sugar, 1 Bag Coconut flakes

Make the cake as directed, add 2tsp coconut extract to the mix, fill 20 cupcakes about 2/3 full- I don't do the full 24 because I like them a little bigger and round on top... Bake as directed, meanwhile make the coconut butter cream

COCONUT BUTTER CREAM
2 Sticks Butter (softened)
1/2 Cup Crisco
1 pound Powdered Sugar
2-3+ tsp Coconut flavoring- this is the yummy part where you taste to desired coconutty-ness!
2tsp milk- if needed, frosting should be pretty thick and stiff...

Once cupcakes are baked and cooled pipe or spread a thick layer of frosting on cupcake and roll top of frosting in coconut flakes to cover. DELICIOUS!

20 Chocolate-ChoCoLaTe-CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
Grocery List: 1 Box Triple Fudge Cake Mix (+ingredients to make cake), 1 bag Chocolate Chips, 1/4 cup Heavy Cream, 1 stick Butter, 1 8oz pkg Cream Cheese, Cocoa Powder, 1 bag powdered sugar
Make cake mix as directed and pour into 20 cupcakes 2/3 full, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each cup cake- they will sink down as they bake- Bake as directed, meanwhile make the Frosting and ganache

GANACHE
1/2 bag chocolate chips in a glass bowl
1/4 cup Cream- Microwave for 1 minute and pour over chocolate chips, stir to melt. If the chips aren't totally melted boil a small pot of water and put bowl on top of water and stir till melted, remove from heat once chunks are melted.
Once the cupcakes are cooled dip the tops in the Ganache to get a nice cover over the top.
*if there is any ganache left over I use that to flavor the chocolate frosting instead of cocoa*

CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1 Stick softened butter
1 block softened Cream Cheese
1 bag powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa- again add this to taste to make is as chocolatey or mild as you wish
*Sometimes I add the melted chocolate ganache- so I don't end up wasting it*
Check the consistency of the frosting, it should be stiff enough to pipe and hold shape at room temperature, if it is too thick add a small dallop of sour cream or 2 tsp of cream.

Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, and ganached and cooled, pipe a swirl of chocolate frosting on.

24 MEGA BROWNIE CUPCAKES- These are like the Ultimate Brownie cupcakes from Cocoa Bean- I dream about them sometimes!

Grocery List: 1 box fudgy brownie mix (+ ingredients to make the brownies), 2 8oz pkg Cream Cheese, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, small marshmallows, 2 sticks butter, 1/2 cup Crisco, 1 bag powdered sugar, Cocoa

Mix brownie mix and fill GREASED cupcake cups about 1/4 full. Mix 2 pkgs cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and 2 eggs, cream till smooth. Spoon or pipe cream cheese on top of brownie until about 1/2 full. Bake 350 for 35-40 minutes. Cheesecake will be golden and cracked and knife will come out clean. Be sure to do the knife or toothpick test to make sure brownie is cooked all the way. Remove from oven and sprinkle tops with marshmallow. Return to oven and broil until marshmallows are golden, this only takes a minute!!! Remove from oven and cool. Make chocolate frosting, you can make the same frosting from the above recipe or make a simple chocolate butter cream.
SIMPLE CHOCOLATE BUTTER CREAM
1 stick butter
1/4 cup crisco
8 oz powdered sugar
2-3 TBSP cocoa
1 TBSP sour cream
Cream together, frosting should be thick and delicious, add cocoa to taste and more powdered sugar if it is runny or more sour cream if it is too thick.
Pipe a dallop of frosting and enjoy, man these are good!!!
*These are so good and I admit that I have strong feelings for them, like I want to be more than friends with them :)*

2 comments:

  1. Is this the coconut frosting from cake night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linds those brownie ones look amazing. I wish I lived by you so I could just come eat them when you make them. I always ruin things I try to bake.

    ReplyDelete