Saturday, January 2, 2010

CuppyCakes

I absolutely love cupcakes. I love the size. I love the variety. I love the taste. Really what isn't there to love about a cupcake... Oh ya, the cost of a cupcake at a cupcakery. I don't have anything against a delicious cupcakery. My friend is head decorator at So Cupcake in SLC and she is amazing. I had extra delicious cupcakes from a spot in Provo across from Provo Towne Center Mall. My first Cupcakery experience was in Vegas and the cupcakes there were worth every penny. But then I went to a cupcake shop here in San Antonio- I won't give a name because A: I don't remember it and B: I think they are out of business now anyway; I was really excited when I found this place, but when I went in they didn't have many cupcakes on display, just the names written on a chalkboard. I ordered a S'mores cupcake and $2.75 later I was handed a small chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing spread on by a knife, dusted with graham cracker crust, and topped with a tiny unroasted marshmallow. I was less than impressed. I created my own S'more Cupcake and a delicious Peanut Butter Cup Cupcake. So to start out the new year try out these Yummies!



S'MoReS CupCaKes (Makes 24)
ONE BOX CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX(I used swiss chocolate but any chocolate flavor is fine)
24 HERSEY KISSES(optional)
36 LARGE MARSHMALLOWS
12 GRAHAM CRACKERS
1 CUP CHOCOLATE CHIPS
-I love the Guittard Milk Chocolate Chips
Make mix as box instructs.
Before baking I topped each cup of batter with a Hershey Kiss. It doesn't make a drastic difference but adds a little bit of chocolaty richness. Bake according to box.
After baked transfer to cookie sheet and top each cupcake with 1 large marshmallow cut in half (place cut side down so it sticks to the cupcake, plus the powdered side roasts better. Place tray on middle rack in oven and broil for about a minute, keeping eye on them so they don't burn!
Pull out cupcakes and top immediately with chocolate chips and half a Graham Cracker. The Graham Cracker may not stick the best but it will as the chocolate underneath melts and cools. I topped each Graham with another half of marshmallow and broiled for about thirty seconds more til mallow was toasty but careful not to burn the Graham, remove from oven and top with a chocolate chip.

These are just as fun and messy to eat as a real Smore!!




PeANut BuTTer CupCaKEs Makes 24
1 BOX CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX
2/3 CUP PEANUT BUTTER
1/3 CUP POWDER SUGAR

Mix PB and Powder Sugar mixture should be dry enough to mold with hands, if not add more Powder sugar. Form 24 little balls. Make batter as directed. Fill cups and place a peanut butter ball on top of batter (it will sink as cupcakes bake).
Bake and cool.
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING:
(Usually when I make frosting I eyeball it so here are the measurements if its too runny add more PB and Powder sugar, if its to stiff add a little cream. This should come out pretty stiff for piping).
2 TBSP SOFTENED BUTTER
1/2 CUP PEANUT BUTTER
2 CUPS POWDERED SUGAR
2-4 TBSP HEAVY CREAM

Beat together till smooth and creamy with stiff peaks
Pipe onto cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment